With summer coming to an end, students and teachers are preparing to return to school. This is an exciting and nerve-racking time for everyone. Students are eager to reunite with their friends and parents are proud to see their children succeeding. It is truly a wonderful time that provides everyone with a new beginning!
School hasn’t quite been the same since the first lock-down in 2020 which is why this is an especially unique year. Luckily, students have the option to return to the classroom or continue with online learning.
Allowing your child to attend school physically may be daunting and worrisome because of the Coronavirus, however, it is a great option. The in-person school allows children to have a sense of belonging. They have a positive community where they can interact with their peers. It is also extremely beneficial to learn in a physical classroom. Online school may also be a great option for students who prefer virtual learning from the comfort of their own homes. It is also desirable for those who are more at risk.
Consider your family’s situation when deciding what style of education is the best for your child!
How to prepare for school in 2021:
- Check-in with your child to see how they are feeling mentally - Many children have spent numerous months isolated at home. They haven’t been present in a classroom for ages. This can bring up feelings of fear and anxiety. It is important to get a sense of how they are feeling so that you can guide them and prepare them for this new beginning.
- Begin implementing routines - Structure is extremely important for a child’s mental health. After months without a structured routine, students may be feeling lost and unmotivated. children will feel ready for the new school year by following a structured routine. This can include maintaining a rigid sleep schedule, preparing lunches for the next day, or even making their beds every morning. Reducing screen time can also prepare children for the fall.
- Prepare for school work - After relaxing all summer, many students will be shocked by the workload in September. It is beneficial to help ease your child into the rhythm of school work. You can refresh their memory by having them read an interesting book and asking them questions. You can even have them review some of their school work from the previous year.
- Practice wearing masks - Wearing masks is nothing new at this point, however, young children may not be used to wearing them after this summer. Let your child choose a mask that is comfortable for them and ask them to practice wearing it inside the house for a few hours. This will help prepare them for the hours of mask-wearing that are coming up.
- Review proper hygiene - Staying clean and safe is essential this year. Your child will be surrounded by hundreds of other kids which is why it is important to teach them how to stay safe. Practice proper handwashing with them and remind them of the importance of staying clean. Provide them with a hand sanitizer and any other essentials as well!
As you know, school is an important part of every child’s life. It is our job as parents to set them up for success in every way possible. This year is truly unique which is why we must be considerate and listen to their needs and concerns. Lastly, don’t forget to enjoy the last bits of summer and live in the present!